At Unlocking Voices we want to offer services that will make RPM accessible to as many people as possible whilst also utilising our own strengths/skills effectively. There are many aspects to learning RPM and it requires dedication, studying and practise. We particularly believe that it is essential for parents to be actively involved and our aim is to provide ongoing support to you as you develop your RPM skills. We hope to empower you so that ultimately you won’t need our support and we can then start assisting the next wave of RPM families!
Alexandra Hopwood Services
Within Unlocking Voices we are lucky enough to have Alexandra Hopwood, who is now the most highly qualified RPM provider in the UK/Europe, having completed an internship with Soma (see Soma’s letter of endorsement). As well as being part of the Unlocking team Alex works full time with families learning RPM and offers her own range of services. We advise that if you are brand new to RPM your initial session should be with Alex.
Her services include :-
1:1 RPM Sessions
For more details on Alex’s services please click here.
Unlocking Voices Services
The Unlocking Voices team (Sue, Alex, Karen and Penny) will continue to run monthly Saturday events which will be focused on our vision of supporting families/parents in their RPM journey . Although Alex is the most experienced RPM teacher and is able to provide the highest level of technical expertise, we have all built up considerable practical hands-on experience. Sue’s son Christopher is home educated – she first introduced choices work (RPM style) to him in 2009 and saw Soma in 2011 (and each year after) . Sue and Christopher’s team have been using RPM ever since – doing sessions each day on a wide variety of topics (see you tube channel ‘suefinnes’). In addition to the RPM sessions many hours are spent on other activities which all support purpopseful body movement. With Soma’s encouragement and support, we have all been developing our skills by working with other children since 2013, and more recently getting regular input from Alex about how to refine our skills.
Our monthly Saturday workshops services include:-.
1 hour allocated exclusively to you/your child
We are very flexible how you use this one hour slot and families who travel long distances may wish to schedule 2 hours with a break in between.
Here are examples of what you could have during your allocated slot.
- 1:1 RPM Sessions – Alex, Sue, Penny and Karen will be available to do full sessions with your child. This will give you the opportunity to see different styles, type of lessons, subject matter and will give you and your child to opportunity to work with someone new. At the end of each session we will give you feedback and explanations about what we did, what worked well, areas we think it would be good to work on etc.
- Feedback on your RPM session – This is something we advise all families to do as it is the best way of developing your RPM skills. You bring a short session (10 minutes for example) and work with your child while one of the Unlocking Voices team observes. We have all done this ourselves so understand that people can be nervous. It is not a test and we understand that everyone is doing their best – we are going to provide constructive help /not criticism. We will then give you feedback – highlighting what was working well and giving help with any areas that you are finding more difficult. We will give you advise on how to keep the lesson flowing and goals for you to work on during your sessions.
- Help with lesson topics and planning – We can advise on selection of suitable topics and how to prepare a lesson – including ideas about researching information, using textbooks, poetry, novels, newspapers, magazines, photographs, pictures preparing your notes,etc.
- Ideas for activities to support RPM – RPM is about being able to purposefully move your hands to enable you to express your learning, reasoning, thoughts and opinions. There are many activities which can help to strengthen /create the neural pathways which are needed for purposeful body movements. We can give you ideas about which activities may be helpful and how to teach them using RPM principles. These can include hand activities (eg colouring, writing, etc) and physical activiies – jumping, hurdles, catching, football, etc , hand eye co ordination eg. bat and ball, fetching objects etc. the list is endless!
• The cost for 1:1 input is £50 per hour.
• Sue, Penny, Alex and Karen will all be available to do this
Parent/helper support – in small groups
These sessions are specifically to support parents – they will include role plays, discussion, exercises etc and are therefore not suitable for the children to attend. We will add to these sessions as we identify needs and tailor presentations to meet the needs of the parents attending.
The sessions offered are :-
‘New- to –RPM’ parent/helper presentations – small groups (max 10). We recommend that you attend one of these before making a booking for a session for your child – we’ll tell you all you need to know about how to get started, resources available and how to run effective RPM sessions – from a parent’s perspective. The cost is £20 per person for the 2 hour presentation.
Lesson planning presentations/role plays – in small groups we can give you ideas for topics and show you how to prepare stimulating lessons – giving you the opportunity to practise, make mistakes and improve in a non-judgemental and fun environment. We may offer different themes – eg how to prepare a lesson on a poem, how to do a science lesson etc. Cost £20 per hour (groups of 5 min)
Parent- to parent discussions – in small groups we can provide information about how to implement RPM at home – either as part of an existing home programme, or as an after school activity. These discussions can be extended to include particular issues – eg keeping the motivation going, how to get more open communication, building your child’s skills, things you are having difficulty with etc. Cost £20 per hour (groups of 5 min).
To be book any of the Unlocking Voices services please use the contact form to get in touch with us or email email@example.com